Automate Desktop Application With These Top 4 Windows Desktop Applications
Millions of people use desktop applications every day for a variety of tasks. And testing these applications for accuracy and completeness is crucial. Yet, it can be time-consuming.
But using desktop automation tools makes the process easier and faster. Plus, it allows you to automate desktop application and focus on tasks. Just so, here are the top four Windows desktop automation tools:
Windows Application Driver (WinAppDriver)
Do you spend much time performing the same manual tasks on your Windows desktop? If so, WinAppDriver, a new open-source tool from Microsoft, can help you automate these tasks.
For example, let’s say you want to automate an app that prints labels. You could write a script that opens the app, selects the printer, types in the text for the label, and prints it. Doing so would help you avoid doing all these things manually.
Also, WinAppDriver supports:
- Windows, Presentation Foundation (WPF)
- Testing Universal Windows Platform (UWP)
- Windows Forms (WinForms)
Another benefit of using WinAppDriver is that it makes testing easier. By automating your tests, you can be sure that they are accurate and reliable. And this way, ensure that your apps are working before you release them to your customers.
The following are the seven steps to automate windows desktop applications using WinAppDriver:
- Install WinAppDriver on your windows machine.
- Start WinAppDriver when you want to automate your windows application.
- Connect your windows machine to the internet.
- Launch the windows application that you want to automate.
- Select the application you want to automate from the available Windows applications list.
- Enter the web service URL for the windows application you wish to automate.
- Start automating your windows desktop application using Windows Application Driver.
You know the importance of automated testing if you’re a tester or if you’ve ever hired a tester. And if you’re a Java developer, you know the significance of Jubula. Plus, many in software development automate repetitive tasks using tools like Jubula.
Well, Jubula is an open-source automated functional GUI testing tool. And this automation tool helps you test desktop Java applications. On top of that, using Jubula, you can test any software that has GUI, including but not limited to:
- Desktop application (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)
- Web applications
- Rich Internet Applications (RIAs)
- Mobile applications (iOS, Android)
Besides that, it’s one of the most popular tools, with a huge community of users and contributors. But what makes Jubula so great?
- Easy to use, and you don’t need any programming skills to get started; all you need is some basic knowledge of Java.
- Provides support for various operating systems, like web services.
- Test even the most complex applications with ease with its powerful automation features.
By using Jubula, testing desktop applications is quick and easy. To get started, download and install Jubula on your computer. Then follow these steps:
- Launch Jubula and create a new Project.
- Create a new test case by clicking on ‘New Test Case’ in the ‘Project Explorer’ view.
- Enter a name for the Test Case and click ‘Finish.’
- In the ‘Test Case Editor’ view, click on ‘Record’ to start recording your actions.
- Perform the actions you want to automate in your web applications.
- Stop recording by clicking on ‘Stop’ in the ‘Test Case Editor’ view.
- Run your Test Case by clicking on ‘Run As > TestCase.’
SikuliX is a test automation tool that helps automate anything you see on your desktop screen running Windows. Also, you can use this tool for test data management and operating system tasks.
And with SikuliX, you can easily create scripts to automate tasks such as:
- Testing applications
- Automating user interface tests
- Extracting data from web pages
- Finding and using images in your scripts
Along with that, it has a visual recognition engine to identify graphical elements on the screen. SikuliX then uses these element identifiers to control the mouse and keyboard, allowing you to automate any task you can do manually.
That said, SikuliX can automate just about anything on the screen, including:
- Clicking buttons or links
- Entering text into fields
- Scrolling through pages or windows
- Uploading files or images
To automate windows applications using SikuliX, follow these five steps:
- Download and install SikuliX from the official website.
- Create a new test case. You may also open an existing one.
- Define the test steps using image recognition.
- Run the test case and verify the results.
- Export the test case for future use.
Oracle Application Testing Suite
Oracle Application Testing Suite is an end-to-end integrated testing solution, and it—
- Enables test automation
- Optimize the entire testing lifecycle
Likewise, it provides:
- Performance testing
- Stability testing
Besides that, Oracle integrates with Oracle JDeveloper, the integrated development environment from Oracle. Given that, you can easily create and run your tests from within JDeveloper.
And because the tests are in a controlled environment, you can be sure that the results are accurate.
Another great feature of Oracle Application Testing Suite is its ability to scale. Whether running a few or hundreds of tests, Oracle Application Testing Suite can handle it. And this feature makes it perfect for organizations of all sizes.
And so, below are some steps to help you get started with Oracle Application Testing Suite:
- Download and install the software.
- Follow the installation wizard instructions to configure the suite for your specific environment.
- Create a new test project and specify the application under test.
- Record a test script or create one from scratch using the suite’s graphical user interface (GUI).
- Run the test script and review the results to ensure your application functions as expected.